Professional qualifications

Proof of qualification is carried out purely through the means of possession of a recognised diploma.

Examination regulations of 23 November 2012 (in German, French and Italian)

With regard to the qualification requirements, the qualifications listed below are recognised by FINMA:

Swiss qualifications

  • VBV Insurance Intermediary 
  • Professional certificate in private insurance (Eidg. Fachausweis Versicherungsfach-mann/Versicherungsfachfrau) 
  • Federal diploma for insurance experts (Diplom eidg. Versicherungsfachexperte/-expertin) 
  • Professional certificate in financial planning (Eidg. Fachausweis Finanzplaner/Finanzplanerin) 
  • Federal diploma for financial planning experts (Eidg. Diplom Finanzplanungs-Experte/-Expertin) 
  • Master of Advanced Studies in Financial Consulting (former: NDS Financial Consultant FH) 
  • CIB Chartered Insurance Broker
  • Diploma for financial advisors IAR, including the insurance module (Dipl. Finanzberater/in IAF) 
  • Professional Education and Training College (PET) diploma in insurance (CH) (Diplom der Höheren Fachschule Versicherung HFV (CH) 
  • CAS Insurance Broker

Qualifications obtained outside Switzerland

  • AUS – Diploma in Business (General Insurance)
  • AUT – Geprüfter Versicherungsfachmann BÖV (oral exams exempted)
  • AUT – Universitätslehrgang Akademischer Versicherungskaufmann*
  • BEL – Gradué en Assurances" der Haute Ecole Francisco Ferrer in Brüssel, Belgien*
  • BEL – Gradué en assurances HEMES 
  • DE – Versicherungsbetriebswirt (DVA)
  • DE – Versicherungsfachwirt (IHK)
  • DE – Diplombetriebswirt BA, Fachrichtung Versicherung*
  • DE – Diplom-Kaufmann FH Köln / Studiengang Versicherung* (alt: Betriebswirt der FH Köln /         Fachrichtung Versicherung)
  • DE – Fachwirt für Finanzberatung IHK
  • DE – Fachberater für Finanzdienstleistungen IHK
  • DAN – Examineret assurandør der dänischen Versicherungsakademie
  • FRA – Diplôme d'études supérieures spécialisées en Assurance*
  • FRA – Diplôme de l’Ecole Nationale d’Assurance – Cadre supérieur de l’assurance » der EcoleNationale d’Assurance in Paris
  • FRA – Diplôme d’université de l’Institut des Assurances de Lyon" in combination with the"Diplôme d’études supérieures spécialisées d’assurances (DESS)*
  • HK – Insurance Intermediaries Qualifying Examination (IIQE)
  • NL – Asurantiebemiddeling A*
  • NL – WFT-Basis & WFT-Schade & WFT-Leven*
  • SG – Certified Financial Planner CFP (FPAS)*
  • UK – Advanced Diploma in Insurance (former "Associateship")
  • UK – Chartered Insurance BrokerUK – Associated Chartered Insurance Institute (ACII)
  • UK – Fellowship of the CII (FCII)
  • UK – Chartered Financial Planner
  • UK – Chartered Insurer
  • UK – Chartered Insurance Practitioner
  • US – Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter, CPCU

*only in combination with professional experience of at least 5 years in insurance intermediation.

Applications for the recognition of other professional qualifications can be submitted to the VBV board of examiners who then request FINMA’s approval.